Friday, September 7, 2007

Blog numero uno

I've really been enjoying the book so far. The first few chapters were difficult to get through but once I got into it I found myself reading it for hours without stopping. Appiah does an great job of providing realistic and useful examples for each concept he covers. I particularly enjoyed chapter five, The Primacy of Practice. I had never considered the idea that the reason behind change is nothing more than "a gradually acquired new way of seeing things." It makes sense and all but it had never really occurred to me. To address the question presented in the syllabus: Does everybody matter? I believe so. Sadly, it's difficult for most people, including myself, to care about others whom we have never and will never meet. It's much easier to pretend like we (we being affluent Westerners) are the only people that matter. It would be wonderful if more people could go beyond their local loyalties and feel not only sadness but anger at the idea that there are people in other places dying for lack of food, water and other necessities. I hope that in time I can learn to think in a more cosmopolitan manner. And, yes, of course the people within corporate America's supply chains matter. Not that you would know that from the way they are treated by corporate America. I would like to think that it's getting better for them, but Americans are still given top priority and someone down the line is getting the short end of the stick.

No comments: